Happy New Years EMERGERs! We hope and expect that 2020 treats you well!
On another note, everyone meet Matt Wagner, Owner of Red Leg Dev, LLC
- Why did you join EMERGE Lakeland? I joined EMERGE to meet and connect with other highly motivated professionals in our area -- the chance to talk about common interests and be a part of the professional conversation.
- Are you originally from this area? If not, where from? I grew up in Lakeland, spending almost the entirety of my childhood here before going to the University of South Florida in Tampa. When my wife and I were expecting our first son, we moved back to be closer to family.
- What do you like most about Lakeland? I really enjoy the atmosphere of Lakeland -- we're nestled between two larger cities, but we have our own distinct personality. The community is very friendly and welcoming, and also constantly growing and renewing!
- What do you do? I currently have a few jobs! I own and operate a custom software consultancy called Red Leg Dev, LLC, and I love working with small and medium businesses to help provide technical expertise and organizational leadership insight. I also am an actively serving United States Army Officer with the Florida National Guard, which has been an incredible experience, training with and leading the finest Citizen Soldiers in the country.
- What do you like most about your job/profession? I get an opportunity to help people, whether it's the hard-working small business owner in my "civilian" job or a community struck by natural disaster as a member of the Florida National Guard. Sometimes it feels like being tech-savvy is like a super-power, where you can see and provide issues to solutions that people didn't realize were hindering them. Being in the Guard has given me a unique insight into leadership and the sacred privilege it is to lead others.
- What are some of your hobbies? I am a voracious reader -- my Kindle comes with me almost anywhere. I try to spread my reading across the spectrum, from technical articles to leadership lessons to fiction. I credit my reading habit to being able to analyze issues from different perspectives, and I make gratuitous use of the highlight feature! My wife and I are also big runners, having done many half-marathons and the most recent Red Ribbon 15k.
- What’s your involvement in the community? Besides my National Guard service, I have also been active with the Gator Redlegs, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that aims to serve veterans and their families through scholarships and community outreach. I have also taken the time to speak at events like the Great American Teach-In and Code Lakeland to share some of the lessons that I've been blessed to have learned over the years.
- If someone sees you at an EMERGE event, what are some topics they should ask you about to get the conversation going? I like talking technology -- but more than that, I love talking about how we can use technology and software specifically to improve business outcomes and quality of life. I like hearing about the issues business owners are facing and seeing where we can help them achieve their mission.
- Anything else you want to add? I'm really looking forward to meeting and contributing to the conversation. Check out my website at https://red-leg-dev.com for more information on what I do for a living!
*If you are a New Emerge Member and would like to be highlighted in our New Member Spotlight, please contact Jovan at firstname.lastname@example.org